• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A rule about verse pages that feature link images for non-existent profiles

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
As I mentioned here, some verse pages have link images for characters that don't have a profile. These images lead to empty pages like this or this. I think that a rule should be established about it, in order to have verse pages with only image links for characters that actually have a profile in the wiki and avoid confusion and frustration when looking at a page with 50+ images with only a small part of them being real profiles and not empty links.
Examples of pages with this problem are Dark Souls and Warcraft, but, from what I recall (since I already addressed this problem some time ago in the old forum) someone should be currently working to make more Dark Souls profiles, while I don't remember what was the conclusion reached about Warcraft.

Makes sense. There being images amongst the countless ones that don't actually to real profiles seems like it would be annoying to users.

I already thought it was an unspoken rule. I agree.

Thank you. If somebody is willing to write a draft text for our Editing Rules page, feel free to do so.

That is fine to me. I will add the new rule.

We might need a wiki revision thread for this later.

Should we have a note for character in a verse page that is yet to be developed into profile?

For verse explanation purpose it would be weird to skip out some characters because they are yet to have a profile.

However it should be noted

I see the point that some verse content creators want to make the verse pages look flashy and then there is a case when not all character profiles are ready by the time the verse page has been constructed.

I am personally fine with verse pages just having point form descriptions. But to show how I plan to get around with this... I will illustrate my thoughts below:

Here will be what a character list looks like in a pure bullet form

Here is what a character list looks like in the current flashy form without proper character profiles for all characters

Others
latest
KyubeyHitomi ShizukiAvatar of CalamityItzli

Here will be what I propose: add a note of (Profile not ready) on characters whose profiles are not ready

Others
latest
Kyubey (Profile not ready)Hitomi ShizukiAvatar of Calamity (Profile not ready)Itzli

And this will be what happens after all characters listed are complete with their own profiles

My apologies, but that encourages our members to spam character images that just take up place in the verse pages and distract our visitors from finding and visiting the character profiles that we actually have instead, so I strongly disagree about that this would be a good idea.

@Ant
Understood your worries. However, VS Battles first serves as an indexing site of the statistics of characters from a wide variety of different fictional franchises. It will look just as absurd if some important characters within a team in a fictional franchise just get missed out from the team just because their character profiles are not yet built. People would think our site is so incompetent we cannot even include characters properly - and this is what I worry even more.

You may ask other people to see if my ideas would work out or just need further tunings. I have given out some of my solutions.

Here will be what I propose: add a note of (Profile not ready) on characters whose profiles are not ready - without even showing the picture.

Others
(Profile not ready)
(Profile not ready)
KyubeyHitomi ShizukiAvatar of CalamityItzli

Or, as an "extreme" and most web content efficient way, go back to bullet point forms and just list the characters and only give links for characters whose profiles are fit for use, like the below for characters whose pages are not yet ready:

• Others

And revert to the below for characters whose pages are ready:

It will still be messy and confusing for our visitors. Our main purpose with the verse pages is to index the profile pages that actually exist in the wiki. My apologies.

Making "profile not ready" thing looks like procrastination more than anything. It's better to just put something when it's done.

Tho with this new rule, do we delete the images for verses who already have them?

Making "profile not ready" thing looks like procrastination more than anything. It's better to just put something when it's done.

Tho with this new rule, do we delete the images for verses who already have them?
Just delete the link from the verse page.
Once the character profile is back we can simply put them back.

My ideal case for verse and character pages is:

Create the verse/arc and the character pages only when all cosmologies, power settings and feat calculation reference points are all set, and character ingredients can be readily put in as a congruent set of verse / power / weapon / character pages.

Beyond what I have already said, another problem is that these types of verse pages have recurrently left the profile pages they link to unfinished for years. It is very hard to avoid that development to happen again.

Just one thing, what should we do with Warcraft and Dark Souls?
I saw that Sir Ovens and presumably others are working to make new profiles for Dark Souls, while Warcraft seems in stasys.
I remember that we deleted all the images from Yu-Gi-Oh, even if the supporters were working on the profiles (and still are), saying that the pictures will be re-added once the profiles have been made.
Warcraft also has many more empty pictures than Dark Souls, so I think that they might be removed, but I'm unsure about Dark Souls.

Just one thing, what should we do with Warcraft and Dark Souls?
I saw that Sir Ovens and presumably others are working to make new profiles for Dark Souls, while Warcraft seems in stasys.
I remember that we deleted all the images from Yu-Gi-Oh, even if the supporters were working on the profiles (and still are), saying that the pictures will be re-added once the profiles have been made.
Warcraft also has many more empty pictures than Dark Souls, so I think that they might be removed, but I'm unsure about Dark Souls.
I think making new profiles are fine. I guess Ant is reminding us just to add them into a verse page only after the profile page is complete.

This is a hypothetical case if Kyubey and Avatar of Calamity have not had their own profiles ready for publishing

And this will be what happens after all characters listed are ready with their own profiles published

What I wanted to is that both Warcraft and Dark Souls are filled with empty image links, the former has around 80 of them, if I remember correctly.
It was decided some time ago to remove all the empty image links from Yu-Gi-Oh because it had the same problem, with dozens of them.
I think that Dark Souls might stay as it is now, since apparently it's a matter of time, but nobody, as far as I know, is working on Warcraft, and creating 80 profiles would take a lot of time anyway

I think that you can remove the image links to nonexisting profile pages from the Warcraft verse page.

Thank you for helping out.

What I wanted to is that both Warcraft and Dark Souls are filled with empty image links, the former has around 80 of them, if I remember correctly.
It was decided some time ago to remove all the empty image links from Yu-Gi-Oh because it had the same problem, with dozens of them.
I think that Dark Souls might stay as it is now, since apparently it's a matter of time, but nobody, as far as I know, is working on Warcraft, and creating 80 profiles would take a lot of time anyway
What Ant said.

If you really want to push the verse supporters you may ask these supporters to keep a copy of the current verse layout.

Once they build their character profiles back (following relevant character profile building standards of course) they may add them back to the verse page.

The copy of the layout is always available through the history of the page, it's not really a problem.
I will ask the supporters if they are willing to work on the profiles as Sir Ovens and others are doing for Dark Souls, but Warcraft still had 77 empty image links. Since no one is currently working on the verse, and making all those profiles would take a lot of time anyway, I think that removing them was the best thing to do for the time being.

Back