• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A New Type of Profile - Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean a self altering maze with traps everywhere wouldn't have passive effects and it's not location based.

I mean I don't think it's worth noting at all if it's something THAT minor
That was an example off of the top of my head, there would be other stuff included. But the likes of spikes are absolutely notable to a battle anyways.

It would be ok for an area to be insanely extreme right? Because, I’m thinking of a location with passive concept,law,soul,mind,bfr, and also cold. There’s no issue if not many people can actually do combat there right?

If it's a spike pit it's a notable area
ok but what if the entire floor is laced with spikes? What if there's spiked walls? Or saws scattered around the place, or hanging obstacles/dangers. These would not fall under notable areas or passive abilities, but would certainly need noting in a section of their own.

It would be ok for an area to be insanely extreme right? Because, I’m thinking of a location with passive concept,law,soul,mind,bfr, and also cold. There’s no issue if not many people can actually do combat there right?
Yeah.
ok but what if the entire floor is laced with spikes? What if there's spiked walls? Or saws scattered around the place, or hanging obstacles/dangers. These would not fall under notable areas or passive abilities, but would certainly need noting in a section of their own.
No this can just be listed in Notable Areas, OR just Effects (I purposely didn't list it as Passive Effects anymore)

No this can just be listed in Notable Areas, OR just Effects (I purposely didn't list it as Passive Effects anymore)
I don't agree that that sort of stuff would come under notable areas, saying "The floor is laced with spikes" does not inform about a Notable Area. Also it's still listed as Passive Effects on yours?

I also don't think this would be an "Effect" which the section is for what can be summed up as an actual general effect of the area, such as Mind Manip or something similar. Spikes does not fall under that category imo, unless we're giving Locations Natural Weaponry or something.

Condense it into just "Effects", I don't give a ****, whatever. Just detail spikes in environment.

No Mathiverse page, also.

Condense it into just "Effects", I don't give a ****, whatever. Just detail spikes in environment.
Perhaps the likes of Spikes/Saws/etc fits better in Environment yes. I still believe Hazards should simply be a sub-section of Environment though, and that Spikes shouldn't be simply merged into the section.
So it would be:

Environment:
  • Resources/Composition:
  • Hazards:

I believe that the removed section "Hazards" should stay.
Imp said that what goes in Hazards can also go in Effects or Notable Areas, which I disagree with for multiple reasons, and it generally doesn't make sense imo.
Promestein said that what goes in Hazards could go in the "Environment" section, to which I agree, but still believe Hazards should be a sub-section, and not completely merged with the section.

What about my idea. The definition of hazard is "a potential source of danger" this includes most passive effects and it is rather simple to note there is a spike in the middle of the room and say the area is void of magic like how in dnd has the threads of magic torn to explains power null of magic.

I just think Hazards section will just end up harboring repeated information, and Effects covere it completely fine.

That isn't what the Effects section is for though. General environmental features such as Mind Manipulation, a Toxic Atmosphere, or something like that is very different to there being set traps, obstacles, fortifications, or more in the area.

Why CAN'T it be that, explain this to me. The file isn't up so you can't talk in absolutes

Because it seems weird to me to place them in the same category.
Effects: Passive Mind Manipulation (Alters the mind of those who enter), Diseased Atmosphere (The air is ridden with disease), Spiked walls, saws on the floors.

That doesn't sound right to me at all. It would be like putting this on a character profile.
P&A: Mind Manipulation (Can control minds), Fire Manipulation (Can shoot fire from their hands), has ropes hanging from them, has a spike on their hand.

It's actually less of a case than that, since Weapon Mastery or Natural Weaponry and similar does exist for Character Profiles, on a Location Profile it'd just be a small bit of writing in the effects section which would look messy imo.

I wasn't talking in absolutes. As the one who created the current draft of the template, I was explaining how I viewed the section.

Also, regarding "physical" hazards, perhaps a durability should be listed for them? Namely so some users don't think that any character would be potentially injured by them regardless of their own durability, like how we don't assume sharp things negate durability normally.

I am fine with hazards being re-added to Impress' draft.

Because it seems weird to me to place them in the same category.
Effects: Passive Mind Manipulation (Alters the mind of those who enter), Diseased Atmosphere (The air is ridden with disease), Spiked walls, saws on the floors.
I don't think it's weird at all tbh :/
That doesn't sound right to me at all. It would be like putting this on a character profile.
P&A: Mind Manipulation (Can control minds), Fire Manipulation (Can shoot fire from their hands), Thread Manipulation, Natural Weaponry (Possesses spikes)
Fixed your poor example for you.

Yeah no I don't see a single problem
It's actually less of a case than that, since Weapon Mastery or Natural Weaponry and similar does exist for Character Profiles, on a Location Profile it'd just be a small bit of writing in the effects section which would look messy imo.
I don't see how this makes sense??

Again I just straight up, think this will NEVER be used for the shit you're claiming for most location files, and will just list redundant information after redundant information.

Tell you what, I will not agree with "Hazards" but I can allow for Notable Objects. That covers your thing AND any equipment present on the location.

And noting all of these, I think we can combine them all as:

Notable Features:
  • Inhabitants:
  • Areas:
  • Objects:

Fixed your poor example for you.
You'd seriously give Thread Manipulation to somebody who has ropes on them?
Again I just straight up, think this will NEVER be used for the shit you're claiming for most location files, and will just list redundant information after redundant information.
You don't think that environmental or physical obstacles/traps/etc will ever be noted on a profile? How are these things redundant?

Lets assume all of the walls in this image are spiked as on the left. Something that is present in fiction a lot.
Could you tell me how all of the walls in an example like this are Effects/Abilities, Notable Areas, or Notable Objects. Moreso than they are simple Hazards in the arena.

You'd seriously give Thread Manipulation to somebody who has ropes on them?
I wouldn't even list them to begin with then, location or otherwise.
You don't think that environmental or physical obstacles/traps/etc will ever be noted on a profile? How are these things redundant?
Because almost every negative EFFECT, is by DEFINITION, a HAZARD. Any distinction you make otherwise, is arbitrary.
Could you tell me how all of the walls in an example like this are Effects/Abilities, Notable Areas, or Notable Objects. Moreso than they are simple Hazards in the arena.
Notable Features:
  • Stakes lined across the arena, various weapons present on the ground
It's... not a tough concept. In fact it's getting slightly... annoying that you're not understanding things this simple

I haven't the time or willpower to discuss this any further.
Not once did you mention a Notable Features section. You stuck to random sections that didn't make sense.
I understand what you're saying, I'm explaining why I believe you're wrong. The thing threads are meant for y'know.

But cool. Let's just go with Notable Features for Spikes and stuff. As long as they get mentioned I don't care where they are anymore.

Not once did you mention a Notable Features section.
Tell you what, I will not agree with "Hazards" but I can allow for Notable Objects. That covers your thing AND any equipment present on the location.

And noting all of these, I think we can combine them all as:

Notable Features:
  • Inhabitants:
  • Areas:
  • Objects:
.>w>
Would this be an acceptable solution?
I think my current "Notable Features" suggestion may be better abit more since it simplifies the format ALOT, and I think Environment being left for climatic conditions may be for the better :v

Okay, so are the rest of you fine with if we use "Notable Features" instead?

I was asked to comment here again. I'm fine with Impress's draft. Besides what I had already said previously, I don't really have any issues with the other details. In case there are contentions, I'll rely on Prom's judgment.

Okay. Thank you for the reply. Does anyone else have something to add?

I think we decided that is and SBA level problem characters have character traits for better or for worse I will point out the no give up rule and social influencing doesn't mention being allowed to convince people to give up so I don't know.

We still need to decide if Civilians are outside help.
Only if they would tilt the fight to the advantage of one of the combatants.

Aren't such circumstances already disallowed according to Impress' draft page?

Yes. I'll apply the notable features then, and then we're good to publish my draft, correct?

As far as I am concerned it should be fine, but other staff members also have a say, so we should preferably wait a little while longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back