• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A new potential administrator? (STAFF ONLY)

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

My fellow Community Council member Love Robi has charitably offered to help us out against the trolls.

However, in order to do that, I will need to give her administrator rights in this wiki.

Would this be acceptable for the rest of the staff? She is experienced in these areas, so I think that her help would be very useful.

S╠Âh╠Âe╠ ╠Âo╠Ân╠Âl╠Ây╠ ╠Âh╠Âa╠Âs╠ ╠Âo╠Ân╠Âe╠ ╠Âe╠Âd╠Âi╠Ât╠Â.╠ ╠ÂO╠Âb╠Âv╠Âi╠Âo╠Âu╠Âs╠ ╠Ât╠Âr╠Âo╠Âl╠Âl╠ ╠Âi╠Âs╠ ╠Âo╠Âb╠Âv╠Âi╠Âo╠Âu╠Âs╠Â.╠ I dont see any harm in making them admin. Go right ahead.

Hmmm. I don't know. Does she understand our local rules here? It might cause her a little trouble if she does not.

Read this post said:
S╠Âh╠Âe╠ ╠Âo╠Ân╠Âl╠Ây╠ ╠Âh╠Âa╠Âs╠ ╠Âo╠Ân╠Âe╠ ╠Âe╠Âd╠Âi╠Ât╠Â.╠ ╠ÂO╠Âb╠Âv╠Âi╠Âo╠Âu╠Âs╠ ╠Ât╠Âr╠Âo╠Âl╠Âl╠ ╠Âi╠Âs╠ ╠Âo╠Âb╠Âv╠Âi╠Âo╠Âu╠Âs╠Â.╠ I dont see any harm in making them admin. Go right ahead.
Staff only.

Skalt711 said:
Hmmm. I don't know. Does she understand our local rules here? It might cause her a little trouble if she does not.
Depends on how involved with the general wiki she wants to get. It seems like she is just here to help out with some trolls. If they want to get more involved then i suppose ant and some others can help them a little with that

Edit: Oh sorry. Didnt realise it was staff only it only said staff only under the bell.

Personally I don't think the trolling issue is as big that we need extra help as Promestein said, but if you believe we do then i can trust your judgement on it

She has a lot of experience with this, and would strictly be focused on helping us out.

I have also been very overworked lately, so I would appreciate the help.

And we have banned several thousands of troll accounts at this point, so again, competent help is appreciated.

That said, I think that we should give her a trial period, so that she will prove that she's a capable troll-fighting administrator.

@Antvasima

If she'll be promoted, should we state in the VS Battles Staff page that she's primarily focused on the troll-fighting task?

That's really nice of her.

But there's a catch. She'd have a real job on her hands considering that she might also be targeted by the trolls like many of our staff members (Antvasima and Matthew know much better about this).

If that's okay with her then I don't have an issue.

I mean. You already have help. We have 18 administrators, which is already much more than most wikis have, and they don't collapse. Of course, we deal with a different volume of edits, as we're more of a forum than a wiki by this point, but other forums are similar.

Actually, I'm curious now. What things is she able to do that would make our jobs significantly easier? I'm asking this out of curiosity, not skepticism, I hope I make that clear

I don't want to go into too much detail about her methods, but I have been told that she has efficiently handled these types of situations before.

She would just be listed as a regular administrator.

I'm fine with her helping out, and she would probably be great at teaching other Administrators how to use the WHAM feature.

@AKM sama

She wouldn't have agreed to work if she didn't know this catch.

@Promestein

As always, I think that you make sense here.

@Andytrenom

Obviously, fighting with the trolls, vandals and other rule-breakers.

@Skalt I mean what extra stuff she can do that the rest of the admins cannot?

Skalt711 said:
@AKM sama
She wouldn't have agreed to work if she didn't know this catch.
I just mentioned it in case she didn't know. Unlike other wikis, we don't get normal trolls here.

She is used to dealing with these types of trolls.

I mean. If it is just simply banning trolls like any admin does then I agree that there isnt much use to it.

But if she can do something that can lessen the amount of trolls appearing in the long run, then i honestly think it is a good idea and will save a lot of worry for the staff. Which is entirely possible since she may know things about scripts and the website our current admins either dont or dont have time to act out on (no offence intended).

So basically it really depends on whether she can do something one of our staff cant do without a guide or something

I dunno what would change that. We already have things in place to minimize trolls.

About 4 years ago Staff asked me to admin Pooh's Adventures, a community of mostly special needs users who were under constant coordinated attacks from vandals who posted horrendous death-aftermath images and causes all manner of wiki shenanigans.

Cleared the vandals out.

I was called in on two other wikis to deal with their communities' shenanigans, the admins of each having been removed by Staff, for me to straighten out Gordian Knots of self-trolling. Eventually re-promoted some before I moved on.

I can help. I don't want or need any badge other than "Admin", I don't want a flashy colored or bold username. The more understated I appear, the better.

I'm offering to be a "stalking goat", dealing with and drawing the ire of trolls unto myself. I'll have no interest in the running the rest of the board, unless perhaps modest Mod duties if as needed. At best I'll be providing a "form letter script" for responding to anyone who sincerely wants to address a block. It will be to send them to Community Central Walls—the official place to discuss blocks (under the watchful eyes of CC Admins and Staff)—and NOT jumping to any other wikis (which is technically multi-wiki harassment).

Basically, trai users how to properly go about requesting their blocks lifted.

If y'all'll have me.

Back