• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Hopeful Survivor deals with a indescribable monster

Eric is looking across the island in hopes to figure out a way to get off the island. When suddently, he finds a ship crashed on the island. He hears dozens of cannibals run towards the ship and he sees a monster- something indescribable jump out and attack infect the cannibals. Eric pulls out his bow and burns the cannibals alive, but that monster, that thing escapes. Eric runs back to his base to rest but he know that thing is still out there and that he needs to kill it - or get away from this cursed place

Rules:

*The Thing is allowed to explore the island and infect the other creatures
*Eric either has to kill every host of the thing in order to win
*Eric has every possible item and armor
*Speed not equalized

Eric LeBlanc | VS Battles Wiki | Fandom:

The Thing (John Carpenter) | VS Battles Wiki | Fandom:

Inconclusive:

1NwxBdDgqbjh8JyYTT3m2yguyWz.jpg
sitten_by_kopfstoff.png

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the Thing currently, but I guess I'll ask how long will it take Eric to abandon the island all together? Also, isn't running away typically considered a loss? I know you included as a wincon here I just find it kinda funny.

Ah, in that case, voting the Thing via eventually overwhelming Eric. Eric's higher reaction speed should lend him the advantage against individuals and even small groups, but eventually the Thing will have assimilated all animal life on the island and will be able to basically wash over Eric in a tide of flesh. That's assuming Eric even recognizes every attack as a threat. Bug-Things will be a problem. Eric would have to chase the Thing down immediately or failing that basically burn down the whole island.

Gonna say the Thing takes this 9/10

I genuinely don't remember a lot of bugs even being on the island, and doesn't that take quite awhile to work?

Trying to overpower eric in numbers isn't going to help when Eric spams molotovs at them and the artifact ball would prevent them from even attacking him

Bugs not being on the island would be a gameplay mechanic. The thing instantly infections on contact and there is life everywhere on the island so it’s quickly going to be 1v10000 very quickly

Bugs not being on the island would be a gameplay mechanic. The thing instantly infections on contact and there is life everywhere on the island so it’s quickly going to be 1v10000 very quickly
I didn't mean they didn't exist in general

Also their isn't life everywhere, only 4 animals even exist, a few villages, and dead people

I've checked out the Artifact Ball and it's not a factor. The Thing's biology makes it functionally immune to all forms of Mind Manip, including Fear and Empathic.

I've checked out the Artifact Ball and it's not a factor. The Thing's biology makes it functionally immune to all forms of Mind Manip, including Fear and Empathic.
Wait why would it’s biology make it immune to fear hax. Fear hax doesn’t control your nerves, it makes you terrified.

Granted I’m not sure if Eric should even have that, but if he does he may actually win (I completely forgot about the artifact balls).

Unrelated but I just want to say I think there is a 9-A feat in the forest. In the caves there are sections that are blocked off by large stone rocks and you can blow up those large rocks with dynamite. The player and stronger cannibal monsters can survive these explosives (I seen a video where someone blew themselves up with the explosives and lived but it may have been a fluke). I’ll need to calc that feet tomorrow.

I mean, the Worm has a feat of one shotting cabins as well
It one shots cabins? I’ll definitely need to calc that with the dynamite feat tomorrow. I’ve been kinda wanting to do this crt for a while, but hearing that feat definitely peaked my passion towards making an upgrade thread.

Last edited:
Wait why would it’s biology make it immune to fear hax. Fear hax doesn’t control your nerves, it makes you terrified.
It's been discussed here, but long story, cells are mindless and cannot be affected by the various forms of mind manip and Thing cells will always react for there own survival, meaning the Thing can and will break itself down if some form of mind hax tries to affect it.

Also isn't the thing considered sentient regardless? Because cells are only given resistance in a certain context

The Thing has proven to have variable levels of intelligence depending on mass. I'm also pretty sure we assume cells are mindless the majority of the time unless proven otherwise. Cells, especially in sci-fi franchises like the Thing, are too simple a lifeform to have even basic thoughts and emotions.

If the thing starts to form into a bigger being that means it’ll get smart enough for the fear manipulation to effect it. So eventually the thing losses it’s resistances and gets fear manipulated.

Last edited:
Doesn't the thing, even in it's weakest form, still have the goal to take over everything?
No. In it's smallest form, a single cell, the Thing only has basic chemical instructions telling it to consume more mass and reproduce. That's it. No complex plans of conquest, just basic predator instincts.

If the thing starts to form into a bigger being that means it get smart enough for the fear manipulation to effect it. So eventually the thing losses it’s resistances and gets fear manipulated.
Also wrong. Even at it's most complex the individual cells still maintain autonomy and can, and will, react to preserve themselves even at the cost of the whole. You see this constantly throughout the movie with examples like the blood test and the Norris-head. Based on this information it's logical to assume that if the higher consciousness is actually incapacitated, the individual cells will react by braking down the larger whole until it's no longer affected.

All of this was brought up in the thread I linked above.

Wait if the thing’s cells actively are trying to preserve themselves that means they have a fear of destruction (or at least it has self preserve which means it can fear). So the fear manipulation should work just fine.

Fear is not that complex. You feel threatened, you retreat, and the cells are shown to be able to be threatened. Also if the main larger body becomes scared then it’ll run away with the rest of the cells.

I’m currently watching a movie so I’ll be back

Back