• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

8-B+/Low 8-A Tournament Round 1, Match 3: Balerion vs Tails

The way dragons fight is by flying to attack with their fire breath from the distance. His fire breath is precise and large, capable of melting stone and turning iron into ashes.
Balerion has the Range, Stamina and Lifting Strength advantage, and his Heat Manipulation.

No more experience than hitting several men and horses. Although his fire breath covers a lot, it is at least 400 meters long with 36 meters in radius

Last edited:
Yea ik I’ll give my opinion out later but for now I’m just following

plus they are others that can also explain tails’ wincons better then me

Alright so tails seems far smarter and his analytical prediction + acrobats that’s almost comparable to Sonic him self can help dodge the fire attacks, he’s also stronger than this dragon so he should be capable of finding a way to incap him or just beat him down

Voting tails

Can Tails dodge an attack almost 100 meters wide? And the AP difference isn't that much, only 1.1873x
Balerion's Range and Stamina is higher than Tails': he can outrange him, fly and use his fire breath constantly until Tails got tired.

Except Tails is a genius. He knows his flaws and shortcomings, has quickly deduced the best way to win fights against those that hold advantages over him, and has retreated on several occasions to simply stall for time or find a better solution to his situation. Not giving a vote yet, but Tails' intelligence (which also draws from the Games, as their stories are canon to IDW) is nothing to be left out when it's his most powerful weapon.

Dragons are probably the most intelligent creatures, some masters (who are the most intelligent people in ASOIAF) state that the dragons are more intelligent than men; I'm obviously not saying that Balerion is smarter than Tails, just that he isn't just a beast that only kills. Also Balerion has almost 100 years of battle experience

Fair, the "Animalistic" bit just three me off for a moment.

Tails has skill almost comparable to those such as Sonic, in-part due to being trained by him and also through direct experience through their adventures. It's enough to fight Shadow with the assistance of Emerl (from Sonic Battle, which he know happened due to the existence of Gemerl), who can directly combat Sonic. Sonic himself has fought beings that have existed since the beginning of time (such as Dark Gaia), as well as those such as Emerl. And Emerl in question had 4000 years of straight combat experience. So even in combat skill, it seems Tails has a tremendous advantage.

Fair, but Tails has experience fighting something similar to a giant flying dragon? And Tails could dodge Balerion's fire breath that is almost 100 meters wide?
Although Balerion will probably be upgraded to 8-A/Low 7-C, I don't know yet

Tbf Tails has fought giant mechs before so large enemies are nothing new to him plus thanks to the above mentioned analytical prediction + flight combined with his homing attack and small size will allow him to land very precise as well as hard to avoid attacks.

Also since I'm assuming this is SBA also has the Tornado for additional support.

Balerion has a Range of at least 4 times that of Tails. Which forces Tails to get closer and it would be harder for him to dodge the width of Balerion's fire breath. Balerion can also do air shockwaves to knock Tails out of range. Just by making contact with Tails, Balerion's fire would turn him into ashes. What support does the Tornado give to Tails?

According to @RoTt35 :

From what I see in the profiles Balerion has a range advantage which he can take advantage of it to tire out Tails who must dodge the fire or else he would turn into ashes. And if Tails tries to get closer it will be harder for him to dodge the width of Balerion's fire breath, plus he can also do air shockwaves to knock him out of range. Added to that Balerion can also fly longer and has more stamina

If I must ask, may I see the scan of Balerion’s flames being a hundred meters in radius?

If I must ask, may I see the scan of Balerion’s flames being a hundred meters in radius?
Drogon has an official fire breath of 30 feet (9.144 m) in diameter, I was wrong saying radius sorry. Drogon's skull is 2.45083 meters long and Balerion's is 9.7536 meters long. So, doing rule of 3 would give us a diameter of: (9.144*9.7536)/2.45083 = 36.39 meters, the half that I said before due to my mistake. The hundreds of meters is the range of Balerion's fire breath, not the diameter, which is longer than the dragon itself.
If Tails is able to dodge that at close range then there is not much Balerion can do other than take advantage of his longer flight, range, stamina and air shockwaves

The Tornado could be quite useful. The Tornado itself likely has speed different from Tails, so I'm actually unsure if speed equalization applies to it naturally. But even assuming it does, Tails installed an engine, that while unstable, provides an incredibly fast boost in speed
itUCzxjO1qvBD-cMfajRqBnmIvVsIZyVnbagHKV-U-AKr-TMSf8YToolMxB8BbVnYZw4ndO5_SQzt2dXdqZFX8kCQzb3uXwC0N_gorxeCfjl3E3dr_Y-9FMW17jUcWJq8UZGqkp_kw=s1600

hQYHplENOrl0moe_twtEzlTwUQweyFjaK3slyO3vYxqMXga-HgpgZN8qPCTsEjdOCYJdRxoWNSTR_zhUHa6G5t3Kst5-E2nqw6pnZxN4av9-kK_5kWiuZ6Rgdkn9SORyP6iH_dS8aw=s1600

h20lbBXa0SiQsheEZ9MrGMwdiraIwuY7dBUTmdOyRkSawlTB2nznwVDVY1eLKySvzTuGS8nTAF9e89Hod6qwDWkXV7CRPa7BFj5rCpGk73ndFXNH9HSMXBYNIxWGMOyPQYzrxu7dqQ=s1600

He could use this speed boost to quickly close a gap that may be between the two to start initiating an attack. Also possible for Tails to turn on the thrusters and have it run into Balerion. He's certainly willing to ditch the Tornado if the time calls for it. He even suggests doing so in this same issue (But Sonic wouldn't allow it).

With Balerion distracted, Tails can sneak up and initiate an attack on Balerion. While the gap between the two isn't that huge, its going to mean a lot when Tails lands multiple quick attacks in Rapid succession on a really big target.

Not sure where Balerion's Lifting Strength scales, but it's also possible Tails has superior lifting strength, and can thus restrict their movement in some way after getting close as well.

Does the Tornado take time to turn on or not? Because if so, it would be an easy target for Balerion.
The speed boost is a huge advantage for Tails, but that would make him a bigger target and Balerion can still use air shockwaves to blow him away.
Also keep in mind that if Tails or the Tornado made simple contact with Balerion's fire, they would turn into ashes instantly. Drogon at 7 years old can melt stone and iron, and turn steel into ashes; as a dragon grows its fire is hotter, and Balerion is 200 years old.
Balerion has 120,377,960 kg of strength while Tails has 5,774,693 kg, so Balerion has the Lifting Strength advantage

Does the Tornado take time to turn on or not? Because if so, it would be an easy target for Balerion.
I don't recall a time of it taking particular any significant amount of time... it's usually up and going pretty quick. Though I think one thing to take note of is the starting distance between the two. Does anyone know what the starting distance is going by SBA?

The speed boost is a huge advantage for Tails, but that would make him a bigger target and Balerion can still use air shockwaves to blow him away.
Also keep in mind that if Tails or the Tornado made simple contact with Balerion's fire, they would turn into ashes instantly. Drogon at 7 years old can melt stone and iron, and turn steel into ashes; as a dragon grows its fire is hotter, and Balerion is 200 years old.
Then I think my other example is applicable here. Tails can use the Tornado and its boost (which would quickly close in on them) as a decoy while Tails sneaks up on Balerion in which he becomes a hard target to hit due to being close and on account of Tails being small and the enemy being a giant target (Who I presume isn't super flexible and athletic as Tails is). From there, Tails can then attack the opponent numerous times with home attacks from Balerion's blindspots.

Given Tails analytical prediction, it's also entirely possible for Tails to make predictions and anticipate on the fly of what his opponent might try. Meaning not only can he likely safely approach them with the Tornado, but once close and when attacking their blindspot, Tails can also anticipate when the foe will try and retaliate whilst he does so. To which he can quickly adjust himself to another blindspot to continue attacking.

Is Tails also just taking out the wings altogether a possibility given Tails AP scales higher than their dura? Removing flight, and thus some of their mobility makes them an even bigger target. They'd essentially become a sitting duck as Tails continuously attacks their blindspots.

In the Tournament OP. All fights start at 25 meters apart.
Ah, that's really close. Tornado wouldn't be all too useful with only 25 meters to move before being face to face with a giant, lol.

I guess he could turn it and the thrusters on and if the opponent isn't quick enough to react to it, they're hit by it. If they do destroy it, he should have closed the rather small distance between the two. From which he can employ the strategies I've listed above.

Unfortunately, or not, Balerion will be upgraded in the next few days so Tails should automatically move to the next round. It was fun discussing

If that’s so, then I suppose Tails automatically moves on.

And while you’re at it, try voting here so we can move on to Round 2.

Back