• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Same rules as the rest. Samus was recommended and should be argued for by Adam and Calix by Sleuth.

Samus has spent what felt like almost every day of her life fighting. Hell it wasn’t even her first time meeting folks as strange as this in the field of battle. To her, it was just how she had to do things. For the protection of Lives, the avenging of those already lost, and sometimes just to survive. Now things began to seem a tad more peaceful and so she walked onto the tournament field to fight purely because she wanted to. Her armor, crafted by the greatest hands in a race far gone, got a lot of attention from the audience, even though nobody on this planet knew who she was; her many weapons starting up made loud noise that stretched across the field. Her opponent was the opposite, unarmored and unarmed except for a small staff. He looked he was reading something, a green thread, too thin for words to be written. She tried to initiate conversation.
“Whatcha reading there pal?”
“Fate; it is not in your favor.” Sam could not help but laugh at this. This lead to her getting a scowl from her opponent.
“I am sorry it is just that... fate my friend was never really on my side since the day I was born... I pushed through anyway and now look at me.”
“You underestimate fate madam. Let us see what happens when you try and fight it.” Green magic bursted out around him, met in kind with a flurry of plasma. From here the madness began.

From what I see from Calix's profile, Samus is more experienced and skilled in combat, has better ways to move and a wider arsenal of weapons and tools.
Calix seems to be more focused of resistances and tracking, but apparently doesn't have much things suited for combat, and his inexperience is a massive disandvantage against an opponent like Samus.

I vote Samus

Bump also two weird questions for the magic guy? I have no idea about magic lore, especially the newer stuff past conquistador simulator, but did I get Calix right? Also I definitely want to get Xenagos right, any tips.

Anyhow, for my vote, Calix hasn’t fought much before, but he was made by the God of Fate (Klothys) to fight against Elspeth, who’ve fought multiple battles. Considering how the God of Fate itself made Calix to fight a skilled warrior, skill doesn’t seem to be a problem here.

Calix BFRs unless I am missing something here.

I forgot about the BFR, how in character is for him to use it in a battle?
Also, about the experience, his profiles states that he lost many times due to his lack of skill and experience. It also says that he got better every time, but Samus ha fought aliens, monsters, soldiers etc... for a good part of her life, mostly successfully, and holds an advantage in number and quality of weapons.

Oh yeah you're right

But to be fair, his profile states he's proficient with Klothys's flying Needles.

Not entirely sure how his BFR works, I think it involves manipulating the threads of fate

Well, I didn't question his proficiency with the needles, but Samus is a walking arsenal, with bombs, missiles, various types of lasers, rays and other equipment, she also has a mobility advantage with morph ball, acrobatics ecc...

BFR would surely defeat her, though

Hope this doesn't count as necro, but I thought I'd weigh in. So, I can make the assumption that she has everything listed in the Power Suit subsection for abilities, correct? If that is the case, I'd argue this is close to a stomp. Samus, without using the Speed Booster, is capable of feats like grabbing a bullet fired at near point-blank range, moving from several meters away from the shooter, and shooting and killing the shooter at the same time. Or killing five enemies so fast that to those around her it appeared she only fired her gun a single time. And that's with the absurd gravity of planets in the Metroid universe. Even if we equalize movement and combat speed, her reaction time is better than the feats (most of) the Planeswalkers have, and that's all she'd need.

A single shot from the Ice Beam and the Needles/Threads of Fate, or Calix himself, are frozen in place and time (the Ice Beam is so OP, freezing things in 3D space to the point that they break physics and don't even fall), and the battle is over. She's demonstrated many times to be able to dodge or intercept projectiles with ease and return fire so fast that her opponents literally don't know it happened. She's able to dodge close-range plasma and laser weaponry in her Power Suit in the first two Prime games, to say nothing of her combat speed feats in the manga, and the (presumably) lower gravity of the battlefield setting would only increase her abilities. Calix's only chance is to BFR her before she gets a shot off, and given her feats...I just don't see that happening.

Someone made a mtg vs thread and didnt tell me

: T

Anyways, Samus is definitely more skilled than Calix in outright combat but Calix's BFR would massively screw her over and its his main schtick in combat

Hope this doesn't count as necro, but I thought I'd weigh in. So, I can make the assumption that she has everything listed in the Power Suit subsection for abilities, correct? If that is the case, I'd argue this is close to a stomp. Samus, without using the Speed Booster, is capable of feats like grabbing a bullet fired at near point-blank range, moving from several meters away from the shooter, and shooting and killing the shooter at the same time. Or killing five enemies so fast that to those around her it appeared she only fired her gun a single time. And that's with the absurd gravity of planets in the Metroid universe. Even if we equalize movement and combat speed, her reaction time is better than the feats (most of) the Planeswalkers have, and that's all she'd need.

A single shot from the Ice Beam and the Needles/Threads of Fate, or Calix himself, are frozen in place and time (the Ice Beam is so OP, freezing things in 3D space to the point that they break physics and don't even fall), and the battle is over. She's demonstrated many times to be able to dodge or intercept projectiles with ease and return fire so fast that her opponents literally don't know it happened. She's able to dodge close-range plasma and laser weaponry in her Power Suit in the first two Prime games, to say nothing of her combat speed feats in the manga, and the (presumably) lower gravity of the battlefield setting would only increase her abilities. Calix's only chance is to BFR her before she gets a shot off, and given her feats...I just don't see that happening.
Speed is equalized including reaction time and Calix's BFR isnt projectile-based,its not something she can dodge

Speed is equalized including reaction time and Calix's BFR isnt projectile-based,its not something she can dodge
If that's true, then how did Elspeth overcome it multiple times? I guess the answer could be that many of their battles were fought in the underworld Calix would send her to, but she'd still have to overcome the mindhax and corruption. Most spells and abilities in the Magic verse have casting times, they aren't instantaneous, and that's especially true of Planeswalker's big, powerful spells. Even if his casting time is just a couple of seconds, that's still an ice beam or missile that ends the battle pretty much right there.

I don't suppose we have any info on the Threads of Fate BFR? Like casting time, likelihood of leading with it (given previous battles with Elspeth), defenses/counters to it, etc? Like, would it be thrown off if he was targeting Samus and she went into Morph Ball? Technically, that puts her into pocket dimension within the armor. Since Calix would ostensibly be targeting her, not the armor (as I don't think the armor itself would count as a target of "fate," at least not at first thought), this could function as an in-universe self-bfr to break targeting (the exile mechanic, in game) giving Samus the opening she'd need to win. Again, assuming she doesn't instantly win byjust shooting him with a beam or missile that moves faster than he does (considering her weapons are all much faster than her normal massively hypersonic+ movement with some being FTL, and those wouldn't be affected by speed equalization because...well slowing down missiles and lasers kind of defeats the point).

So, here's how I see this going down with the info I presently have as I understand it:

Option 1: Battle starts, Samus sees magic/energy appear on this guy's hands as he prepares to cast his BFR, using her super-fast reaction time (equalized, sure, but fast) she fires an Ice Beam shot or missile. One of two things happens: it hits or it doesn't. It hits, great, Samus probably wins. It doesn't: Calix's casting is still interrupted, he's on the back foot, and that allows Samus to utilize her strengths as a walking arsenal and Samus probably wins.

Option 2: Calix preps his BFR, Samus sees him about to do something, he does his thing and she goes into Morph Ball which causes the spell to fizzle due to lack of target. Samus then: pops unexpectedly and shoots him with a missile and/or Ice Beam and probably wins, or Samus lays bombs, keeps him off balance, and then pops up to hit him with an Ice Beam or missile and probably wins.

Option 3: Calix is able to cast his BFR because the casting time is short enough (this would have to compare to the action of Samus essentially pulling the trigger in terms of speed) and/or Samus has no way of breaking targeting (like morphball) and wins.

Now, to clarify: though I do consider Samus more likely to win, that's only due to my current understanding of things. I am assuming that the BFR isn't instantaneous because...well I would think someone with a stomp ability that OP would have been weeded out, and he got beaten multiple times in his debut storyline by an opponent who doesn't have nearly the same number of ranged options Samus does. I also have to point out, specifically, that while equalizing their reaction times does keep Samus from stomping, unless I'm wrong about how equalizing is done (it's bringing them both to the same level, not making them arbitrarily "slow", yes?), Samus can make much better use of high reaction time than Calix because of the speed of her attacks. They have almost no prep/cast time and, by the reaction times of the fighters involved, are basically instantaneous in delivery. So Samus can see Calix make even a small movement and react with just a finger twitch that very well might win the battle, while Calix's fight-ending options aren't so readily available.

Or am I completely wrong on this?

Also...are you sure that his BFR isn't at least kind of visual spell/area of effect thing? There's so much art showing the actual Threads of Fate he uses to ostensibly enact said BFR that it seems strange that it would just be some completely invisible, undodgeable, unavoidable gotcha.

Back