• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cynthia VS Blue (grace)

AdNiBN002

He/Him

Cynthia VS Blue

• Starting Distance: 20m
  • Both in-character
  • D&P and HG/SS (Viridian Gym) Teams
Cynthia: 10 (@Arceus0x , @Gilad_Hyperstar, @Hasty12345 @Peppersalt43, @XSOULOFCINDERX, @Nierre, @Poppio2, @JustANormalLemon, @Jibz, @FantaRin_The_First)
Blue:
Inconclusive:

HeartGold_SoulSilver_Blue.png
Diamond_Pearl_Cynthia.png

Last edited:
On paper their matchups seems pretty even, is there anything specific that gives Cynthia an edge?

(Also I'll add this as a vote if you prefer)
Please do.
I mean things like her snake pokemon who's name i forgot at this very moment, the one that can use ice beam to take out ghyrados and pidgeot. We've got Garchomp who can bring down half of Gary's team and we've got spiritomb who can deal with eggsecutor

Diantha only have Mega Gardevoir, and Cynthia has more than enough coverage to deal with Diantha's team (Spiritomb checks Hawlucha, Lucario checks Tyrantrum, Aurorus and Gardevoir, Roserade checks Pumpkaboo, Garchomp checks Goodra and Milotic is great against any of Diantha's special attackers)

Besides, her BDSP team would absolutely murder Diantha. Just having Megas in not enough when Cynthia got many options to deal with her

However, in this battle, Cynthia easily beats this Blue. She has a much better team than he has and can absolutely check his team

Voting Cynthia

Diantha only have Mega Gardevoir, and Cynthia has more than enough coverage to deal with Diantha's team (Spiritomb checks Hawlucha, Lucario checks Tyrantrum, Aurorus and Gardevoir, Roserade checks Pumpkaboo, Garchomp checks Goodra and Milotic is great against any of Diantha's special attackers)

Besides, her BDSP team would absolutely murder Diantha. Just having Megas in not enough when Cynthia got many options to deal with her
I'm pretty sure BDSP Cynthia wipes every single champion in the series because its actually a semi competent competitive team lol

I don't see why Blue doesn't win. He was the champion of a region with stronger trainers than Sinnoh, and grew stronger and more skilled over the years to become a gym leader in Johto

I don't see why Blue doesn't win. He was the champion of a region with stronger trainers than Sinnoh, and grew stronger and more skilled over the years to become a gym leader in Johto
Cynthia is higher leveled, has objectively better pokemon, and counters all of his pokemon at the same time

Cynthia is higher leveled, has objectively better pokemon, and counters all of his pokemon at the same time
Why "objectively better"? If anything, Machamp would outskill, since it has one of the best skill even when untrained. Level doesnt matter when it comes to strength at all. What counters does she have?

Exegutor could use Hypnosis to counter Garchomp, and then Psychic to toss it around. Roserade gets slammed by Arcanine. Milotic is one shot by machamp's thunder punch, gastrodon gets slammed by Exegutor, Lucario gets slammed by rhydon, gyarados, machamp, arcanine. Only advantage Cynthia has is Spiritomb, who would just get beaten due to being weaker for the reasons I explained

Why "objectively better"? If anything, Machamp would outskill, since it has one of the best skill even when untrained. Level doesnt matter when it comes to strength at all. What counters does she have?

Exegutor could use Hypnosis to counter Garchomp, and then Psychic to toss it around. Roserade gets slammed by Arcanine. Milotic is one shot by machamp's thunder punch, gastrodon gets slammed by Exegutor, Lucario gets slammed by rhydon, gyarados, machamp, arcanine. Only advantage Cynthia has is Spiritomb, who would just get beaten due to being weaker for the reasons I explained
Levels actually mean a lot here, some of Blue's type advantages are actually screwed here because of it
Exeggutor gets hard countered by Spiritomb and that's both of their leads, it realistically wouldn't survive long enough to even fight Garchomp but if it does Hypnosis has a 60% chance to hit and Garchomp is signifigantly stronger and faster.
Roserade loses to Arcanine, but 4 of Cynthia's Pokemon are super effective on it, 3 of them even have STAB.
Lucario also absolutely destroys Rhydon, he's super effective on it and Rhydon doesn't have good special defense, outspeeds, and has mind reading with aura, Gyarados has nothing super effective on Lucario idk why you even think that the level gap is also pretty bad for it, Lucario is probably equal to Machamp skill wise and has mind reading, Earthquake also can't oneshot Lucario here actually, damage calculations make it only do 80% with the level difference so Lucario's speed advantage actually lets him beat Machamp by two shotting with Psychic.
Garchomp's only real threat here is Gyarados since Ice Fang is super effective but the level gap hurts here since its slower (Exeggutor won't live long enough like I said earlier) Gyarados also gets walled out by Gastrodon and Milotic since they resist water and are bulkier Gastrodon also has a super effective move on it.

1) Cynthia is a Champion as well, and she has both a higher levelled team than Blue, as well as a far more versatile one, with Spiritomb having no weakness to anything Blue may have

2) The trainers in Sinnoh is just as tough as those in Kanto if not more so. Compare playing Platinum to Fire Red, and tell me what is harder (spoiler: not Fire Red)

1) Cynthia is a Champion as well, and she has both a higher levelled team than Blue, as well as a far more versatile one, with Spiritomb having no weakness to anything Blue may have

2) The trainers in Sinnoh is just as tough as those in Kanto if not more so. Compare playing Platinum to Fire Red, and tell me what is harder (spoiler: not Fire Red)
Levels dont mean much for strength. Nothing counters Blue's Gyarados and Machamp while I proved Blue has more counters to Cynthia. The difficulty of the game has nothing to do with feats, Blue is a better champion

Levels dont mean much for strength. Nothing counters Blue's Gyarados and Machamp while I proved Blue has more counters to Cynthia. The difficulty of the game has nothing to do with feats, Blue is a better champion
Oh please. Machamp cannot touch Spiritomb and Roserade counters it. As for Gyarados, Cynthia once again have Milotic and Gastroodon, both of them being very bulky, and know Recover to heal any damage Gyarados might do to them

Oh please. Machamp cannot touch Spiritomb and Roserade counters it. As for Gyarados, Cynthia once again have Milotic and Gastroodon, both of them being very bulky, and know Recover to heal any damage Gyarados might do to them
Machamp can touch Spiritomb with Thunder Punch and skill, and Gastrodon is 2 shot by Exegutor. Milotic is also 2 shot by Exegutor or Machamp's Thunder Punch

Machamp can touch Spiritomb with Thunder Punch and skill
Sure, use an neutral damage thunder punch while Spiritomb knows psychic moves to easily KO Machamp, whose Special Defense sucks

Yeah Machamp is toast either way
and Gastrodon is 2 shot by Exegutor. Milotic is also 2 shot by Exegutor or Machamp's Thunder Punch
Exegutor is walled by Spiritomb and Lucario, the former can hit it with Super effective STAB moves, and Cynthia isn't stupid enough to have Gastroodon face a grass type

Sure, use an neutral damage thunder punch while Spiritomb knows psychic moves to easily KO Machamp, whose Special Defense sucks

Yeah Machamp is toast either way

Exegutor is walled by Spiritomb and Lucario, the former can hit it with Super effective STAB moves, and Cynthia isn't stupid enough to have Gastroodon face a grass type
Lucario will get one shot due to having trash hax outside of psychic which is good, but too many super effective moves. Spiritomb gets slapped by Gyarados using intimidate to induce fear in it and ice fang freezes it along with the entirety of Cynthia's team

Cynthia doesnt use Togekiss in diamond and pearl, her only advantage is spiritomb who gets clapped by Pidgeot's air slash or gyarados' intimidate and ice fang
If you choose one team for Cynthia, then you got to chose one team for Blue as well. Blue never owns Gyarados, Arcanine and Exegutor at the same time. One of them is always replaced by his starter (which is Blastoise on most continuities)

Also pretty sure Spiritomb outlasts Pidgeot in a 1v1. Gyarados' intimidate does nothing to Spiritomb as it's a special attacker and has nothing to hit it Super effectively

Lucario will get one shot due to having trash hax outside of psychic which is good, but too many super effective moves. Spiritomb gets slapped by Gyarados using intimidate to induce fear in it and ice fang freezes it along with the entirety of Cynthia's team
Lucario is faster than machamp and can actually take an earthquake with the level difference, Lucario straight up beats machamp here

Back