• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

10-A, 9-C with Weapons Tournament. Semifinals Match 2. Lucy Carlyle vs Inukai

So, looking at Inukai's page, is his fighting skill actually just for stuff that does not involve his 9-C weapon?
And what exactly is a three-section staff?

Oh, so it's one of these chinese weapons that were likely never used in war because they are actually really impractical.
Look. he's a fictional character. If people there can swing a heavy hunk of metal they call a greatsword with just one hand, a flail stick shouldn't be a problem
I mean, he can fight fine for sure. I'm not saying he doesn't know how to use it or anything. It's just that his profile depicts him mostly as a boxing/kickboxing master.
Lets wait for @GoldenScorpions opinion on his skill with it

And even then, Lucy's dura is still 10-A so even if Inukai chooses to use his fists, he can still damage her

Inukai is primarily a martial artist and boxer, that's correct. But he later also mastered using the three-section staff (Vols.15-17) which he uses alongside Skanda's Speed. With its longer reach (controllable reach to an extent), the speed's momentum increases the power of the end of the staff.
The idea is that, from his Sigil's acceleration, the high speeds carrt over to the staff which then deals more damage thanks to the momentum. Or, when he decelerates to attack someone, the abrupt decrease in speed from his Subsonic movement makes the end of his staff continue its course and slam the opponent with increased power, essentially making it a whip but instead of thin leather or nylon it's a whole wooden stick

Hmmm... I see I see. Well, in this he will probably have to do staff fighting. Fencing kinda hard counters boxing as the pointy stick is made for keeping your opponent at beyond their arms range.
Now to quote wikipedia on the weapon:
One significant weakness of chained weapons in general is a lack of control. At long and intermediate ranges, the strike of one ends not upon impact but on recoil; even the greatest martial arts masters must use valuable time regaining control of their weapon.
Which makes sense to me. If Lucy blocks the staff it will probably bounce rather unpredictably from the recoil combined with the momentum of Lucy's rapier. That should give her an opening to stab.

And then there are of course the usual explosives to assist her while fencing.

Good point. That's a flaw in the weapon that Lucy may be able to use. Though, the staff has more range.

In speed equalized, I know combat speed is equalized, but what about movement speed?

Good point. That's a flaw in the weapon that Lucy may be able to use. Though, the staff has more range.

In speed equalized, I know combat speed is equalized, but what about movement speed?
Gets equalized proportionately. So it kinda depends on which of his possible speeds we assume for him here.
That's something OP should decide.

If we assume he has Subsonic Combat speed then his Subsonic speed with Skanda would get equalized so that he is basically just an unquantified amount faster than Lucy with it.

If we assume he has high-end Peak Human combat speed (12.43 m/s) then all his speeds would be downscaled to Lucy's (Let's say 8 m/s or something for being athletic human) so that he is 64% as fast as before. So it would be as if his speed with Skanda is 85.84 m/s, which is still well faster than Lucy.

With Skanda, the movement speed gap is such that Inukai can reposition quickly while fighting and likely avoid slashes and stabs coming his way.

Honestly, I really want to know which speed assumption we're using for this. If we use the one where Skanda makes him 10x faster than Lucy he just blitzes.

Inukai can't actually attack while in Skanda. He mostly just uses it to move and make afterimages
Oh, I see I see. That betters Lucy's chances.
Still, I want to make sure for the scenario: Are we using the "possibly Subsonic (Shouldn't be much slower than Shuka Karino)" speed value for his combat speed or the "At least high-end Peak Human combat/reaction speed (Much superior to One)" speed?
Just want to know how much of an advantage he has out of the speed boost.

Inukai can't actually attack while in Skanda. He mostly just uses it to move and make afterimages
Yes. If Inukai wants to attack, he has to slow down or he will break his limbs. Having a weapon circumvents that a little, as he's not attacking with his fists in that case, but still, yes. Basically, he uses Skanda for movement speed boost, trying to overwhelm/confuse the enemy & create after-images --> he goes for an attack --> slows down as to not break his bones and limbs --> the attack happens, maybe a brief exchange of blows --> he backs away with Skanda --> repeat the process + maybe a feint here and there.

As to not make this a blitz, I suggest we use Subsonic combat speed for Inukai, though it should be around baseline. That way, the Skanda movement buff is x3.9 faster than his combat speed instead of x10.8.

Well, given the speed gap I think Inukai probably takes this, even if he needs to slow to attack.
Lucy's explosives won't hit here and, while she can probably defend herself with a dagger for quite some time and perhaps even inflict some damage, Inukai's ability to disengage and suddenly appear behind her should give him the win.

And just to get this concluded

Inukai FRA

And that's grace, thank you everyone (Finally...)

{Also in case you're wondering, this is allowed based on this thread}

Back